Friday, October 19, 2012

Corn & Bean Fritters

Ok, so I made this recipe once when my sister (the vegetarian) was in town and surprisingly, Jeff loves these things, and so does Maddox! So these are a big hit at my house. I got the recipe from a Food magazine so its currently on a ripped out magazine page that I'm afraid I will lose so here goes it preserving a family favorite :-)



Corn & Bean Fritters

1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes
1 Tbs vinegar
1 can of sweet crisp corn
1 can of butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 6oz pkg corn bread mix (I use Jiffy)
1 egg
1 tsp chili powder
Olive oil

1. Coarsely chop, halve or slice tomatoes. In a small saucepan combine tomatoes, vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 cup water. Cook covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.

2. For fritter batter, in a large bowl, mash beans. Add corn, corn bread mix, egg, chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 cup water, stir to combine.

3. Heat a large griddle or 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Drop four 1/2 cup scoops of batter on griddle at a time. Cook 4 minutes per side.

4. Serve fritters with warm tomatoes and parsley or cilantro!

Confessions! I don't serve with tomatoes on top! I also do not add the water to the batter, but since it calls for it I wanted to put that all in the recipe :-) I also only cook 2 a time, just so they don't get all jammed up together and it gives me more room to flip them.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment